Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Discouraging Week

So, I'm having a bit of a bad week. First of all, we have all been sick with an upper-respiratory infection for the past few days. It started with Sydney getting sick last week, then I caught it over the weekend, and now Todd has it. We have been a sorry bunch!! For me, upper-respiratory infections have always hit me hard. I got so sick with one when I was in graduate school that my parents had to drive to Knoxville, pick me up, and bring me home to get well. I was in my 20's and could not physically take care of myself. Even my roommate was worried sick about me! For some reason, when I get an upper-respiratory infection, it knocks me out of commission for about a week. I am on Day 3 with this one, so I probably have several more days of sickness before I will start feeling like myself again.

So, this brings me to the second reason why I am having a bad week. I was all set to start my journey to better health this week when SICKNESS had to rear its ugly head and bring me down (or, could it be the DEVIL?!?!)!! Ironic, huh?? You see, I was going to try out my first Barre Sculpt class at Seren Motus yesterday, but it's a little hard to exercise when you feel like you can't breathe (plus, I had a temp. of about 102 and didn't think it would be a good idea to be around other people!). So, I am going to reschedule for next week and try the class when I am up to par. I also had an appointment to visit Dr. Joshu tomorrow to begin her 12 Weeks to Wellness program, but I rescheduled that for next week, too. Between Sydney and me being sick, I haven't been to work since last Wednesday, and I plan on going back tomorrow (Lord willing!). I didn't think it would be a good idea on my first day back to work to take a couple of hours out of my work day to go to my appointment with Dr. Joshu. So, I called and rescheduled my appointment for next Monday. I am pretty bummed that my plans for this week had to be changed, but I WILL prevail!!

I am reading a really good book this week that reiterates for me the importance of getting my health in order. It's called Fat Chance, and it was written my Julie Hadden, one of the Season 4 contestants on The Biggest Loser. It's a very candid look at Julie's life, how she struggled with her weight for so many years, and how she finally found the strength to overcome it. I can see some of myself in Julie. I am not as heavy as she was, but I am overweight never-the-less. I don't think it matters HOW MUCH weight you need to lose, only that you NEED to lose it. So, in that way I see myself in Julie. She was the type of person who put others' needs in front of her own just like so many other women do, and in the process of doing that she lost control of her own life. I sooooo get that!! There are so many times when I know I need to take the time to exercise, but I don't do it because I feel guilty for taking time away from Sydney. I am a working mom, so my time with my daughter is limited. Often, I would rather do something with her than exercise. She is almost 3, so I know as she gets older we can do physical things together a little easier, but when your children are very small there's only so much they can do with you! I know in my head that Sydney is not going to die if I take the time to exercise, and I also know that I need to do it so I can be the best mommy possible for her, but I must admit that my guilt often gets the better of me.

One thing that Julie talks about in her book is surrounding yourself with positive influences. You need people in your life who will support you on your journey to better health, and for me right now it's a little hard to find. I am getting ready to make some MAJOR changes in the way my family eats, and I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for that. Just the other day my mom was at the house, and she was giving me a hard time about the organic milk and tomatoes she saw in the fridge, along with my almond milk (which I LOVE, by the way!!). She was like, "What's with all that organic stuff in your fridge? Honey, you can't afford to be buying organic." Todd was sitting there, and he chimed in about the coconut oil I have been using to cook with. I walked out of the room, but I could still overhear my mom and Todd talking about how this organic stuff is all a lot of "hype." I will be the first to admit that I used to believe it was all a lot of "hype," too. However, the more I study about it, the more I am convinced that organic (at LEAST for fruits and veggies) is the way to go. I would rather pay more for my FOOD now than pay $$$$$$$ for the MEDICINE I will need later to keep myself healthy!! Can I get an AMEN?!?!

Listen, I KNOW my mom and my hubby mean well, but I have a feeling that I am going to travel this road to better health by myself a lot, and I am fine with that. My only hope is that as my family sees changes in me over time, they will support me more in what I am trying to do. It's not that they DON'T support me in my quest to lose weight and get healthy. They just might think some of my methods are a little "squirrely." But, I look at it this way: I am 38 years old, and when I look at my parents who are in their 60's I see what I DON'T want to be. Both of my parents are diabetic, my mom has high blood pressure, and my dad has cholesterol issues. Just last week my dad had some tests done on his heart, and the doctor didn't like what he saw. So, he put my dad on a stronger statin drug than he was already on. My parents are both on medication for diabetes and their other medical issues, but with each drug they take there is some sort of weird side effect for their bodies. I'm not saying that I will NEVER be on medication by the time I am their age if I change my health now, but I do think I stand a MUCH better chance of being more healthy THEN if I start taking care of myself more NOW. So, if it means I spend a little more on groceries, and I buy some things my family might not agree with, then so be it! I am fine with that!!

I guess I am just having one of those weeks when nothing seems to be working out right, and I am feeling a little discouraged. However, I think my sickness has been a good thing in one way. It has forced me to slow down a little for a few days, and I have had time to read some of Julie's book. I think the timing of reading her book has been really good for me. It has helped me keep things in perspective during this not-so-pleasant week. I will share more thoughts about the book as I continue reading it. Despite my unpleasant week, I will not let it get me down for long, so onward I press to better health! I look forward to sharing more of what I learn along the way with you!!

(Oh, and one more thing about Julie's book- she writes it from a CHRISTIAN perspective, so that's great, too!!)

1 comment:

Mary Rae said...

Sorry you have not had a great start to the week! I hope it gets better from here. I can very much relate to you on the wanting and needing to get healthy! I am trying to do the same. I will be praying for you!